Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Take me out to the Ballgame... Maybe

One of the songs that Christopher loved to sing this past Summer was "Take Me Out To The Ball Game". Because of his peanut allergy, we tend to replace some of the words in the line that refers to "peanuts and cracker jacks" with snacks that he can eat, and yet still keep the rhyme. When going to a ballgame this year, we were confronted with the oversight of peanut shells. Of course... one of the biggest food associations with baseball, besides hotdogs, is salted peanuts. I loved going to a game with my Dad when I was young and eating peanuts in the shell. The best part was that it was somewhat acceptable to litter by placing your empty peanut shells on the stadium floor. Now that I have a child with a peanut allergy, those memories take on a different feeling. Fortunately, Christopher had no reaction to being near the peanut shells; we tried to keep him as far away from any empty shells. We had a fun time at the game, but sometimes I found myself distracted, looking for peanut shells. I know in my heart that someday, Christopher will be able to go to a baseball game with his son (or daughter) and share some peanuts and hotdogs, and just have a great time watching the game instead of looking for empty peanut shells.

No comments:

Post a Comment