Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Why do Reese's peanut butter cups have to taste so good?

When I was growing up, I used to love peanut butter... especially in the form of Reese's peanut butter cups. I had my own special way of eating them. I would basically eat around the edges first and then pop the rest in my mouth. Since Christopher's peanut allergy entered our lives, I haven't eaten as many peanut butter cups. We definitely do not keep any peanut butter in our house. Occasionally, during a business trip or on a weekend trip with my wife, I will indulge in a peanut butter cup. Also, during the "candy" holidays of Easter and Halloween, I make the "sacrifice" of eating any peanut butter candy in order to protect Christopher. While I can easily give up peanut butter cups alltogether for Christopher, I still ask myself "Why did they have to make Reese's peanut butter cups taste so good?" Who knows, maybe Reese's will make a peanut substitute cup someday for those who have a peanut allergy.

4 comments:

  1. I've made a mock peanut butter cup for my daughter with sunbutter and sugar (and chocolate of course). Yummy substitute, but my daughter wouldn't go anywhere near it. Too close to peanut butter - I guess I've done my job training her to avoid :)

    i have a blog http://peanutfree.blogspot.com if you want to stop by and take a look. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Gab! I will definitely stop by and take a look at the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just the other night I was out after the kids were in bed (grocery shopping -what else?) and I snagged a Reese's Peanut Butter cup. I felt like I was cheating on my son but it was soooo good. I am going to have to check that recipe out, too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad to know I'm not the only one that feels guilty about eating something with peanuts in it when I'm away from my child with a peanut allergy.

    ReplyDelete